American Express Business Platinum Card
Content below courtesy of Jayce at PointsNerd.
Can I Sign Up For A Business Card?
The first thing anyone says me when I recommend this card is “I don’t have a business … can I get this card?”. The answer here is yes. Literally, anyone can have a sole proprietorship which would qualify you for the business card. And while every card issuer is different, American Express does not require you to provide a business license or any other articles of incorporation. I mean, if you think about it, many sole proprietorships do not officially register their businesses. As many new businesses don’t have a credit rating, AMEX uses your personal credit history as the measuring stick for whether you qualify for the card. My first AMEX Gold Business Card was under the business name “Jayce Loh” so you too can open a business card with American Express.
Sign Up Bonus
Okay. Pay attention here.
If you sign up for the American Express Platinum Business card using the regular sign up, you will receive 40,000 MRs. If you sign up using a referral, you receive 75,000 MRs (link at bottom of article). That’s a 35,000 difference. That is a HUGE difference.
Now with the business variant of both the Gold and Platinum, you have a bit of a high hurdle when it comes to spend in order to receive the sign-up bonus. You need to spend $5,000 in the first 3 months of the card to receive the bonus. I personally would suggest that you get both the Gold Business and the Platinum Business but you need to be smart about it so that you can be sure to meet your minimum spend requirements.
If you put your everyday spend on the card, most people can get to $5,000 without breaking much of a sweat.
The annual fee for the card is $499, which is amazingly low for the number of MRs you would receive. If we look at it at a Cents Per Mile (CPM) perspective, you are earning at $0.00665 per point or 0.665 CPM. My personal goal is to earn points at less than 1¢ per point and this well exceeds that threshold. In short, this is an excellent card to have if you are looking to collect points.
Everyday Spend Bonus
As with the American Express Platinum Card, you receive 1.25 points for every dollar you spend. So that means you would have and additional 6,250 MRs from meeting your minimum spend requirements PLUS the sign up bonus of 75,000 MRs, giving you a grand total of 81,250 MRs. That’s enough for 2 people to fly to Mexico or Central & South America in economy class with 1,250 points left over. That’s amazing! You are also only 8,750 points away for travel for 2 to Hawaii in economy. All for $399 in an annual fee.
Unfortunately, there is no Annual Travel Credit as seen in the American Express Platinum card but the annual fee is so low on this card that it almost doesn’t even matter.
Other Key Benefits
Status with Hotels and Car Rental Agencies
With the Platinum Business card, you get many of the same benefits as the Personal Platinum Card, including status at many popular hotels:
With the Platinum card, you get the following statuses:
- SPG – Gold and because of the Marriott/SPG merger, Marriott Gold (reciprocal benefit)
- Room upgrade at check-in, subject to availability
- Earn three Starpoints® per eligible U.S. dollar spent, a 50% bonus over Preferred status members
- Late check-out on request and when available
- Your choice of a welcome gift with each stay. Choose from bonus Starpoints®, complimentary in-room Internet access or a complimentary beverage
- Fairmont – Platinum Status when you charge 5 nights at a Fairmont to your Platinum card
- Guaranteed early check-in and late check-out, upon availability
- Complimentary access to health clubs (excluding spas)
- $100 USD Dining or Willow Stream Spa Certificates
- Two complimentary suite upgrades
- Two complimentary room upgrades
- One complimentary night
- Personalized welcome amenity
- Fine Hotels and Resorts Program– Enjoy exceptional amenities around the globe with access to more than 700 properties thought the Fine Hotels & Resorts Program. Special extras may include upgrade to a higher room category at check-in (based on availability), daily continental breakfast for two and a guaranteed 4.00 p.m. check-out upon request.
With the American Express Platinum card, you get automatic enrollment in the Prestige Priority Pass Program, which allows for access to many airport lounges around the world. The access is unlimited and free so there are no out of pocket expenses for you during your membership.
The value of this pass is $399 USD (~$525 CAD).
The insurances provided by this card are top notch as well and very similar to the Personal Platinum coverage except that you do not have Emergency Medical coverage, which can be a deal breaker for some.
The included coverage’s are:
- Trip Interruption
- Trip Cancellation
- Car Rental Theft and Damage
- Lost or Stolen Baggage
- Baggage Delay
- Flight Delay
- Hotel/Motel Burglary
- Travel Accident
- Extended Warranty
- Purchase Protection
Personally, I find this card to be irresistible based on the huge sign up bonus as well as the other benefits of the card so if you plan on signing up, I would highly suggest you use my referral link as you receive 35,000 more points than if you use the public offering.
The public offering for this card is 40,000 Membership Rewards after you meet the minimum spend on the card ($5,000 in the first 3 months) but if you use the link, you will get 75,000 Membership Rewards points.